Carefully read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions printed on the chlorine treatment package. Test the water regularly—it’s a simple process to use a test kit. You want to maintain water balance by measuring:
- Free available chlorine (FAC), which should be in the range of 2 – 4 ppm, but never fall below 1.0 ppm
- Total chlorine, to assure that combined available chlorine (CAC) levels are less than 0.2 ppm
- The pH level to keep it between 7.2 and 7.8, indicating that the chlorine is working effectively
- Total alkalinity to make sure that pH levels stay steady
- Calcium hardness to protect pool surfaces from corrosion.